Payroll pledges push United Way gift to more than $530,000
Jan 24, 2019
Generous givers came through again for United Way.
Employees and retirees across ALLETE and its subsidiaries—Minnesota Power, ALLETE Clean Energy, BNI Energy, and Superior Water, Light and Power—promised to give more than a quarter million dollars to the United Way in 2019. The pledges will go to 15 United Ways in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, Oregon and Pennsylvania.
In addition to the $254,139 in payroll pledges, the Minnesota Power Foundation contributed $250,000. That, plus other corporate gifts and special fundraising events, brings the total company contribution to $530,180.
Al Hodnik, ALLETE chairman, president and CEO, said the commitment to supporting United Way through financial contributions is only part of what sets ALLETE employees and retirees apart when it comes to community engagement.
“Your generous giving helps to change lives for the better in the regions we serve. You also make a meaningful difference by giving of your time and talents to help others,” Hodnik said. “We have seen many changes in our workforce in recent years, but supporting healthy communities and giving to the United Way have always remained a core value. My sincere thanks.”
Where the money goes
Contributions support a variety of programs through these United Ways:
- United Way of 1,000 Lakes
- United Way of Becker County
- United Way of Bemidji Area
- United Way of Bradford County
- Carlton County United Way
- United Way Crow Wing County
- Head of the Lakes United Way
- Lycoming County United Way
- Twin Cities United Way
- United Way of Morrison County
- United Way of Northeastern Minnesota
- Power Missouri Slope United Way
- United Way of Spencer Iowa
- United Way of SW Minnesota Power
- United Way of Umatilla and Morrow County