$50 Reward for Refrigerator and Freezer Recycling
Call 1-866-552-6755 now to schedule your pickup or place your order online!
Standard in-home pickups have resumed. Personnel entering homes to retrieve appliance(s) will wear face coverings following safety guidance. No-contact pickups are available by request. See below for instructions on how to schedule a no-contact pickup.
We’ll pick up and recycle that old energy inefficient refrigerator or freezer and reward you with $50 for the first unit picked up and $35 for a second unit, if applicable.
Getting rid of that old refrigerator or freezer typically saves several hundred dollars over its useful lifetime. By recycling your old appliance you’ll also ensure that it doesn’t end up in a landfill or wasting energy in another home. We also encourage you to dispose of your primary refrigerator or freezer when you purchase a new energy-efficient model.
NEW! You can now recycle your old, inefficient window air conditioner and dehumidifier with a refrigerator or freezer pickup!
Must be coupled with a refrigerator or freezer pickup. Must be in working condition. No monetary reward for dehumidifier or window air conditioner pickup.
- You must be a retail customer of Minnesota Power (receive your electric bill from Minnesota Power). Note: If you have a unit to recycle for your business, click here. If you have a multifamily property and are interested in participating, contact LTorrini@arcainc.com for more information.
- You must own the unit(s) and collection must be at the location listed on the utility billing account.
- An adult (at least 18 years old) must be at home for the scheduled pickup of the refrigerator and/or freezer.
- You can recycle a maximum of two qualifying appliances (refrigerators and/or freezers) per year, per dwelling. No limit on the number of window air conditioners and dehumidifiers.
- The refrigerator must be at least 10 cubic feet to a maximum of 27 cubic feet. Larger models will be treated on a case-by-case basis.
- Freezers must be a residential-sized unit.
- The refrigerator and/or freezer collected must be in working condition (i.e., it must be plugged in and working when the contractor picks it up for recycling).
How to Participate
- Call 1-866-552-6755 to schedule a recycling pickup or place your order online. Minnesota Power customer verification will take place before you are given dates to schedule the pickup.
- You will be contacted the day before the pickup to verify the date, time, and location and to confirm you will be available.
- Make sure the unit is emptied, plugged in and working (cooling) at time of pickup. The contractor will not pick up non-working units.
- A licensed and insured Minnesota Power contractor will come to your home to collect the unit(s). Their personnel will be wearing identification badges designating them as a Minnesota Power contractor. The contractor will be responsible for inspecting your appliance to ensure it meets the above requirements. They will also disable the appliance (cut the cord) to guarantee it will not be used again. The contractor is responsible for any damage incurred in taking the appliance out of your home.
The unit will be taken to a certified recycling facility to be properly processed and recycled according to the EPA’s Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) program guidelines. This includes recovery of ozone-depleting chemicals from old refrigerators and freezers and ensures the following:
- Refrigerant is recovered and reclaimed or destroyed.
- Polyurethane insulating foam is recovered and destroyed, or the blowing agent is recovered and reclaimed.
- Metals, plastics, and glass are recycled.
- PCBs, mercury, and used oil are recovered and properly disposed of.
- Receive your reward check in the mail 4-6 weeks after pickup. This offer can be changed at any time subject to dollars available and modifications to program requirements.
Benefits to Participating
- Save energy (typically several hundred dollars over its lifetime) by removing an old, inefficient appliance from use
- Help protect the environment by responsibly recycling your appliance and keeping it out of a landfill.
There is no charge for the pickup and recycling of the qualifying units.
- In fact, you will get REWARDED!
- Ensure your appliance is properly recycled to meet EPA's Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) program requirements.